There is a host of services and supports designed for adults with intellectual/developmental disabilities and their families who receive assistance from the DC Department of Disability Services (DDS). Services are provided in the home or community and include:
- Physical Therapy: Services to maintain and/or increase the ability to move which may include using a walker, operating a wheelchair or climbing stairs.
- Occupational Therapy: Services to maintain and/or increase the ability to accomplish daily living which may include writing (fine motor skills).
- Behavior Support Development: Individual assistance to address challenging behaviors by identifying, planning and training staff to meet the unique emotional, mental and behavioral needs of each person.
- Family Training: Specialized training and education for families about how to care for their loved ones, identify appropriate resources and navigate the system.
- Transportation: Safe assistance to and from appointments and community programs and activities.